Craiglockhart Community Council
How to View a Planning Application
How to Comment on a Planning Application
Craiglockhart Tennis Centre
Meggetland Care Home
Alfa Romeo Car Showroom
Car Showroom 1 Lanark Rd
Down in the Dell
Historical Buildings in Craiglockhart
dating from the 15th Century is our oldest standing structure but it is now an ivy covered shell in a poor state of repair. Originally it was a four storey tower house. It has lasted over the centuries because its walls are a substantial 5 to 6 feet thick! For many years it was surrounded by a clutter of farm buildings but these were demolished at the time of Napier University taking over the grounds. Behind the castle can be seen the gorse covered Wester Craiglockhart Hill and on its summit there are the foundation remains of an ancient hill fort
was designed in 1758 and built out of red sandstone taken from the ruins of the original Redhall Tower. Harling has protected the soft sandstone. In 1900 there was a major expansion with the addition of the bay-fronted West wing and an ornate front porch. In 1944 the house and grounds were acquired by the then Edinburgh Corporation and its initial use was as a children's home. More recently it has been used as a City Council staff training centre before being sold for development.
is now known as
and dates from 1565 or possibly even earlier. A new wing at right angles to the original building was added in 1746. Craighouse was renamed the Thomas Clouston Clinic in 1972. In 1994 the building became part of Napier University Craighouse Campus (see below) but has since been sold for development
opened in 1894 four years after the laying of the foundation stone. The separate buildings were named Queen's Craig, East Craig and South Craig. The great tower of the administration block is a distinctive landmark. Napier have retained many fine internal features including a magnificent oak-panelled Grand Hall.
City Poor House
foundation stone was laid in 1867 and the official opening took place in 1870.The clock tower was the centre point of a complex of buildings. After Word War II the site became known as Glenlockhart and in 1964 it had a further name change to Greenlea Old People's Home. The final change was in the late 1980's with the redevelopment of the site for homes involving a mixture of conversions and new build with the area now being known as
after the name of the original farmlands
l was initially built as a dedicated fever hospital. The site preparation started in 1897 and the official opening ceremony took place in 1903. Over the years, as infectious diseases were brought under control, vacant wards were taken over for
various other medical specialities. The hospital closed just before its centenary and the original two-storey pavilion blocks that housed the wards have now been turned into homes forming part of the pleasantly landscaped
The building that housed Napier Universitys Craiglockhart Campus started life as the
which opened for business in 1880. During the First World War it became a military hospital for shell shocked soldiers. (There is now a War Poets Museum in the building in memory of this period.) After the war it re-opened again briefly as a Hydro but the market had changed and it closed its doors in 1920. The next use was as the Convent of the Sacred Heart and a Catholic Teachers Training College. Napier University took ownership in 1985
Craiglockhart Parish Church.
Originally Craiglockhart was part of Colinton Parish but in 1880 a temporary Iron Church was erected a few hundred yards form the present site to serve the growing population of the area. The foundation stone of the current Craiglockhart Church was laid in 1889 and the building opened for worship in 1890. The landmark tower and spire were added to the building in 1899
This splendidly arched aqueduct was built in 1822 to carry the Union Canal across the valley of the Water of Leith.
Down in the Dell
Follow us on
Community Web Kit provided free by BT